Veterans' Assistance Fund

Mason County has established a levy, per RCW 73.08.080, for the purpose of creating the Veterans' Assistance Fund to help eligible indigent and suffering veterans or family members with certain expenses.

The Veterans' Advisory Board has been established for the purpose of overseeing the Veterans' Assistance Fund.

The Veterans' Advisory Board Operating Guidelines provide detailed information.

Veterans' Advisory Board Bylaws


  • Any honorably discharged veterans or veterans with a General Discharge under honorable conditions or a General Discharge with other than honorable conditions (Administrative Discharge)
  • The county defines "indigent and suffering" to mean the current poverty level as  defined by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
  • Applicants must be a resident of the Mason County for at least ninety (90) days.
  • Applicant must present proof of residency and income.
  • Copy of DD214 or Discharge Papers
How to Apply:
  • Telephone a Veterans' Service Officer to schedule an eligibility appointment and find out what documents to bring to the appointment.
  • There are two Veterans' Service Offices:
    • In Shelton - Memorial Hall, 210 West Franklin Street.
      Business hours are Tuesday and Wednesday 9 AM to 2 PM or by appointment.
    • In Belfair - Crossroads North Building, 140 NE State Route 300.
      Business hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
  • This fund may be disbursed to indigent veterans and their families or the families of those deceased in the amount not to exceed $1800 per applicant per calendar year.
  • Exceptions are burial and catastrophic expenses
  • Approval of the one thousand eight hundred ($1800.00) dollar assistance shall be granted only for the following:
    1. Utilities include electric, water, firewood, wastewater (sewer), natural gas and/or propane
    2. Necessity Items (Attachment A in Operating Policy) (Not to include tobacco and alcoholic beverages).
    3. Obtain State ID card (one time only).
For additional Veteran Services in Mason County please visit Mason County Veterans (