Mason County’s Property/Evidence System

Care and control of evidence and found property is an importance aspect of the criminal justice system. The Mason County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) has been recognized as meeting the most stringent and best practices in the ever-evolving area of evidence maintenance by receiving and maintaining accreditation with the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs. We proactively address the challenges of evidence and property management in criminal prosecution, evidence preservation and disposition, and general property handling. Accreditation provides assurance that we meet recognized standards in the field as well as a formal on-going process for evaluation and improvement. Accreditation strengthens collaboration and accountability between public safety, the court systems, and our communities.

The Property Room stores evidence and found property for the MCSO. The Evidence Officer is responsible for retrieving, recording, securing, and storing property and ensuring proper chain-of-custody in the event evidence is needed for court proceedings.

In addition, the Property Room disposes of narcotics; illegal, unclaimed, or unwanted weapons and other property; and endeavors to return found property to the rightful owner(s). Disposal methods include incineration, melting and auction.

A most important step in property retrieval is preventive: know what you own, keep it secure, document make, model, serial numbers, take pictures.

Property/Evidence FAQ

How do I Report Lost, Stolen, or Found Items?

To report an item stolen, found, or a firearm lost in Mason County, please call the non-emergency line at (360) 426-4441. Provide the operator with as much information as possible, including the item’s make, model, serial number or owner applied number.

How Can I Find My Lost or Stolen Property?

To see if the Property Room is holding your found property, call (360) 427-9670 Ext 721 and please be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • What is the property and description?
  • Does it have a serial number?
  • Have you reported the property lost or stolen?
  • Where and when was it lost or stolen?
  • Did you receive a phone call or letter notifying you of the recovery?
  • Do you have a MCSO case number?
  • Do you have proof of ownership?
  • Have you received information that MCSO has your property?

The Property Room will make every effort to return property to the rightful owner(s). If an item is turned in where it can be traced back to someone by name, phone number, address or serial number, an officer will attempt to contact the owner via phone or letter to make arrangements to return the item.

What happens to found property if an owner is not located?

Depending on the item’s condition, after sixty (60) days the item will either be disposed of or auctioned in accordance with state law. The person who found the property may request to claim the property if an owner is not found within the required time period. Claim paperwork may be obtained from the investigating deputy or by calling the Sheriff’s Office at (360) 427-9670 Ext 721 and must be filed within seven (7) days of the find.

After receiving claim paperwork, the finder will be required to place an ad in the local newspaper. If no owner appears within the sixty-day time period, the finder has thirty (30) days to claim the item.

The Property Room Has My Property, How Do I Get it Back?

Safekeeping and Found Property:
Call the Property Room at (360) 427-9670 Ext 721 to schedule an appointment. If ownership cannot be determined or a firearm is involved, you may be required to obtain a property release.

Appointment policy

Appointments are required for all property releases. In addition, background checks are required for the release of any firearm. This is required even if you possess a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). These checks take approximately forty-eight (48) hours advance notice to complete. Picture ID (state-issued identification card, driver’s license, passport or military ID) is required at time of release. Photocopies are not accepted.